Prosecutor: Murder suspect told Louisville police about a surveillance camera that incriminated him | Crime reports


LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) – An attorney for the suspect accused of fatally shooting a 40-year-old man says police didn’t have to look far for the surveillance camera that ultimately incriminated him.

Attorney Keith Kamenish said his client reported it to the police himself.

Gregory Bell, 47, appeared before a Jefferson District Court judge on Friday morning for arraignment. He was arrested Thursday for the murder of Tremont Tobin, 40, which took place in the Taylor Berry neighborhood of Louisville.

Police say that on Sunday, June 19, officers from the Louisville Metro Police Department were called to the 1200 block of Central Avenue, which is not far from Churchill Downs, at around 4:40 p.m. to a report of a shooting.

LMPD public affairs officer Angela Ingram said at the scene officers found a man who had been shot more than once.

The coroner’s office lists Tobin’s cause of death as “multiple gunshot wounds” sustained in a homicide. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

According to court documents, a doorbell camera captured the entire shoot. Police said it showed Bell and Tobin having a conversation when Bell pulled out a black handgun and shot Tobin multiple times.

After Tobin fell to the ground, Bell allegedly stood over him and shot him again.

Police say Bell then entered a nearby residence and emerged with a silver handgun. He then allegedly wiped off that handgun and placed it next to Tobin’s body.

In court Friday, Bell’s attorney told the judge that after the shooting, Bell remained at the scene and even spoke to police about the doorbell camera.

“It’s not like he wasn’t found and they had to get a warrant to find him,” Kamenish said. “They knew where he was. They arrived at the scene. He told them about the doorbell camera. They grabbed that camera and a few days later decided that was what we needed to do: pull out a warrant, run over there and arrest him.”

The judge said the details the attorney was talking about were interesting but didn’t change Bell’s connection.

He is charged with murder, tampering with physical evidence, and being a convicted felon in possession of a firearm.

Bell needs $250,000 in cash to get out of jail. If he publishes this, he will be placed under house arrest.

Related stories:

Copyright 2022 by WDRB Media. All rights reserved.


Comments are closed.