- COVID-19 – Cook Islands, Fiji, Vanuatu, Palau and Solomon Islands
- Acute fever and rash (AFR) – FSM, CNMI and Vanuatu
- Prolong the fever – Vanuatu
- Diarrhea – Vanuatu
Influenza-like illness (ILI)
PSSS, EPI – WK 18, 2022 Influenza-like illness (ILI) cases compared to WK 17, 2022 ILI cases are shown as below for comparison. For additional perspective on the numbers and percentage trends, national sentinel sites reporting for WK 17 and 18 are also shown.
- A real increase in the number of ILI cases is observed in Fiji, Wallis and Futuna and Niue.
- A reduction in ILI cases was seen in Vanuatu, Kiribati, CNMI and Palau for the week. The increase seen in New Caledonia and the Solomon Islands may be due to the increase in the number of sites reported for the week.
- No ILI cases were reported for the week in the Cook Islands.
- No reports were available for French Polynesia, Tokelau, Pitcairn Islands, Tonga, RMI, Tuvalu and Samoa for the week.
- American Samoa, Guam and Nauru did not participate in the monitoring.
- Surveillance figures are not intended to capture all cases in countries, but to describe trends over time and are invaluable when trends exceed country baselines, which should then trigger alerts and action. timely to characterize the true nature and extent of the disease.
- Maintain influenza surveillance and monitor SARS-CoV-2 by adapting the Global Influenza Surveillance and Response System (GISRS) and sentinel systems during the COVID-19 pandemic: Provisional advice
- WHO guidelines for implementation of influenza and SARS-CoV-2 multiplex RT-PCR test in integrated influenza and COVID-19 surveillance Refer here
- The Australian Science Media Center recently held a briefing on influenza in the time of COVID. Please refer here
SARI (severe acute respiratory illness)
Severe acute respiratory illness (SARI) reported by sentinel surveillance sites (4/18) via PSSS.
- As of May 5, 2022, a total of 519,779,455 cases of COVID-19 have been confirmed, including 6,284,636 (1%) deaths and 474,544,417 (99%) recoveries in 215 countries and territories. Of these, currently 38,911,217 (99.9%) are mild cases and 39,185 (0.1%) are severe cases.
- As of 12 May 2022, in the Western Pacific Region there were 56,644,385 confirmed cases of COVID-19 and 227,124 deaths.
- Pacific Island Countries COVID-19 Situation Report as follows: